Tuesday, January 31, 2012

2012 Its going to be a goodie!

Wow. I'm quite possibly the worst blogger ever, my excuse is that if I get busy creating I often "forget" to blog about what I've been making.
This year I'm loving having my own workspace- thank you husband and Dad for creating my refuge where I can stitch and create and make a mess without disrupting the household!


Blanket zip purse, upcycled vintage blanket, doily and fabric


Bunting made from fabric pieces from the stash.

So here is a condensed update on whats been happening this January.


Tanners Point, low tide.
We had a lovely break away to Tanners Point, which is near Waihi Beach in the Bay of Plenty. It was wonderful to leave the city and spend a few lazy days kayaking, reading, eating local produce and just enjoying doing as little or as much as one wanted to do, and breathing the fresh sea salty air! While I was relaxing at the beach I knitted up 3 scarves and a pair of stripey socks from Happy Go Knitty hand dyed yarn. I hadn't knitted socks for quite a number of years so it was great to get a few tips from Helene of Happy go knitty and Belinda from Blendy knits again. I've worn my socks a few times( It is mid summer!), and other members of the household have expressed their desire for their own home made socks, so no doubt I'll be making a few more pairs for winter.

Its also been school holidays which means a little less productive "work" time but I have managed to sketch down lots of ideas for new products I want to create once we get back into the swing of school next week.
Last week I had a film crew visit for some filming in the studio. I tidied up because they were coming, and then the first thing they did was "untidy" as they wanted to show how I used vintage and surplus textiles to create my products. He he I should have realised my creative "mess" was actually of interest! I'll keep everyone posted with when my little spot will be on the telly.
Its Wedding season , and I have been busy with wonderful commissions for Weddings, some zip flower button holes for groomsmen, a few zip floral headpieces, and some custom blanket mice for table settings at a Alice in wonderland wedding reception. I love knowing something I made is part of someones very special day.

I also managed to find a little time to restore my vintage sewing work box. Its a rather wonderful useful contraption, the top layers open and extend out to house all my threads, and the bottom has drawers that I store my sewing tools in. When I found it the little wooden pieces that allow the tops to open and extend were broken, so I posted a few down to my Dad and he made up the replacement ones for me. It has squeaky caster wheels on the bottom so I can move it around the studio to where I'm working. I love it so much I bought another smaller one to store my buttons in, and to my delight when I opened it up I found lots of wooden reels of thread and some old lightening zips! Seems like it was meant to be!

the "before shot" of my sewing cabinet.
Currently I'm working on red zip flowers and a few little gifts for lovers of valentine's Day.... quite a nice way to pass the time...




Kisses for the Mrs, Blanket mouse.
Christmas Gingerbread sleigh, made at tanners point, iced with  an icing bag made from a plastic bag!




1 comment:

  1. Cool creations. I love your vintage sewing cabinet.
    We had a bunting making weekend too - it's so fun when it's up, always brings a smile :-)

    ReplyDelete